Friday, February 3, 2012

Gear Junkie

Have I told you about my home studio in detail, and how I acquired it? It's a sad tale, and dull.

When i was 22, i took up a little music production. I spent, over a few years, probably $3,600, on:
A roland xp-10 starter keyboard (disposed of)
A kawai k5000w 'advanced additive' digital synth (now wish i had bought the s variant, but never mind close enough)
a roland jv-1010 sound module
And a Guillemot ISIS maxistudio soundcard, bundled with a version of logic audiopro 3.6.
And evidence of how stupid I was - I never got out of the general midi soundbanks on any of them.

In the mid 2000s I bought a microphone and a preamp ($400).

Since completing the desktertainment unit, I've added (in order of importance):
An e-mu 1212m sound card (great card, great bundled software, great price)
Two korg nanokontrols and a nanopad
An m-audio 2x2 usb-midi interface.

There are a number of sad parts. The main one is that i am a very poor musician: my hands and ears are joined by nervous tissue that has about a second of jitter, and i lose the beat on the third repetition of it.

The other one is that I have now called in every conceivable birthday and christmas present but can't stop shopping. I see a Nord Modular G1 ($700) on gumtree and begin to fantasise forlornly about the email I could send to its current owner, about how much I would care for it, and how its value is significantly reduced by software instruments, doesn't he know. Sheesh.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.