Sunday, June 16, 2013

Star Trek: Into Darkness

I've never found the Star Trek universe very compelling.  Good looking people who like themselves and each other overcoming fanciful oppositions doesn't really get at the tensions of our technological age.  I prefer Primer, or Moon because they ask about technology, power and human instrumentality directly.  So, given that I thought it was about less pressing problems than our present problems, what did I like?
I liked the intro, which sold the Federation as something like the Culture, and set up the problem of obedience and individual commitments.  I liked Benedict Cumberbatch, Zoe Saldana, John Cho and Zachary Quinto.  The plot was faintly ludicrous, but only faintly, and the premise was fairly good.
Bad was recycling Khan into something so different.  A good character slightly spoiled for me by the associations he was supposed to be inheriting. Also bad, the callback of Nimoy and the Alice Eve underwear scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.