Sunday, October 27, 2013

Wishing

Acquisitiveness log, stardate I don't really care for Star Trek:
1.  I recently started using Runkeeper to track my bike commute, and have been enjoying it.  I'd like to add a heart rate, and the way to do it seems to be with a Bluetooth 4.0 (Smart) heart rate monitor.  Best value chest strap is probably Jarv ($57 at Fishpond.com). I'd like to avoid a chest strap and have fancied the Mio Alpha (bluetooth version, not Ant+) since I first heard of it.  $190 from eBay seller in Hong Kong.

2.  I recently bought and rewatched Neon Genesis: Evangelion.  Such a great series. Under all the cartoonish  teenage philosophy, psychology, sexuality and angst there is Gendo Ikari, a man living at war with what is. (Man, those last two episodes are the greatest RickRoll ever - once you know what happened and see the End of Evangelion movies you can see there's sincere creative effort there, but gosh). Another anime great is Star Blazers is available on eBay for $66.60, and I'd like to go there next.

3. I'd like to upgrade our monitor on mythtv to a 27" IPS screen.  I like the AOC 2757 3d version ($360 @ MSY), because the very high refresh rate needed for 3d can be useful in 2d formats.  Not sure if thus specific monitor supports Lightboost, but just a high refresh rate on a large screen is easier on the eyes.  IPS has wider viewing angles and more and more accurate color.  Also worth a look, the Kogan versions, although they are WQHD which is more than I need.  Still waiting for the full capabilities of my Radeon 7790 to be available to Mythtv in Ubuntu.

4.  There are a lot of Gene Wolfe books I don't own.

5.  Thinking about a Kaveri CPU upgrade in the new year.  Asrock has some nice FM2+ motherboards at MSY already. Intel CPUs are better, but maybe Dual Graphics will ultimately work.

6.  I would need new runners and an armband for my phone to get into running training.

But this is all a bit moot because baby no2 is coming down the shoot and we're moving to a larger house and savings must be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.