Sunday, March 6, 2011

Tristrapedia

So what should be in the tristrapedia?  The main thing I've been reflecting on since I started listening to iTunesU is iTunesU, plus the supporting reading.  Probably a lot of stuff would be unintelligible to someone under twelve, but its the lectures, often first-year level, for undergrads with no backgound...

I read the Odyssey in Chinchilla on my Uncle's farm, which must have been when I was nine or ten. I did not learn the lesson I should have from Odysseus' cunning and ability to move from world to world, to hold his moods in tension and use them well.

Anyway, the point is, there's great feasts out there and I want young Elbetorte to misspend his youth less than I did.  This sounds like a sentence my father almost certainly said a lot when I was growing up, so I need to remember that I will fail at this, and that will turn out totally fine for both me and Elbetorte.

The other things I'm thinking about are the metabolism base-lining that apparently happens in the first few years of life, which set up what conditions you're going to cope with later.

Also resilience in the face of yelling.  In the world, people yell and fight and demand their own way, and its important to still function well, not think the world is coming to an end as I did.  I was a very scared little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.