Tuesday, January 24, 2012

insane difficulty

'The revolt of nature against man' begins GK Chesterton in 'The Club of Queer Trades', has been reduced to a singular condition. It is the small things rather than the large things which make war against us and, I may add, beat us. The bones of the last mammoth have long ago decayed, a mighty wreck; the tempests no longer devour our navies, nor the mountains with hearts of fire heap hell over our cities. But we are engaged in a bitter and eternal war with small things; chiefly with microbes and with collar studs.'

Being familiar with what Heidegger calls obstinacy, described above as revolt, I am often found cursing loudly at my computer when (for example) I try to hook up the audio, and the ports are tiny, dark, snarled in cable and inaccessible. Often I exclaim at the 'insane difficulty.'

The thing is, the problem is always that I'm doing it wrong. There is a way that will work, but I haven't found it, and am instead repeatedly trying things that don't work. When I get rid of the insanity, I greatly reduce the difficulty.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.