Saturday, January 21, 2012

Two Korg Nanokontrols for DAW on win7 64-bit

Yes I have two Korg Nanokontrols (not ver 2s - these are the pure breeds with 9 sets of controllers, not 8) working in Music Creator 6 (and presumably any DAW).  Who wants to touch me?

I said who wants to friggin' touch me?

When I first tried to use one nanokontrol with the Korg drivers, it didn't work at all.  Getting rid of the Korg drivers revealed that the windows default driver for usb midi devices works fine.  I added the second with some trepidation, but the windows driver registered it cheerfully enough. Midiox could open both devices and register input from them, but Cakewalk Music Creator could not.  The nanokontrols would get dropped from the Midi Devices immediately I hit 'Apply'.  Midi-yoke is not going to work on Windows 7 64-bit, but Loopbe1 by the wonderful nerds.de can serve as wiring betwen two programs.

The working config is:
1 nanokontrol as the selected input in Midi-Ox, with the output mapped to the loopbe1 'virtual cable
No other midi input selected.
Now, when I open Music Creator 6 I have 3 midi devices for the two nanokontrols - two of them are 'nanokontrol' and one is loopbe1.  By ticking loopbe1 and one (the correct one, which is a bit of a guess) of the nanokontrols, I have two nanokontrols, working perfectly to input to my DAW.

I don't think the Korg Kontrol Editor will like it much, but I might be able to use Midi-ox to tie up one nanokontrol and edit the other.  And yes, it is surprising to be reduced to such chicanery in these days.

(Of course, now I have no excuse for not making music.  Nuts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.