Thursday, April 12, 2012

Python

I had a day of lessons introducing Python today.  I assumed I would need them because I'm slow with paradigm shifts, but so far its just been delightfully familiar (orderly and relaxed like MatLab) and at the same time large (a diversity of libraries to equal Java's coverage) and at the same time less obscure.  My first Java program had a lot of code that I didn't understand until six months after I started with it.  With Python, there are a few behavioural facts of interest (arising from object-oriented design), but no expressions that are simply unintelligible.  More tomorrow.

Mum: Python is free and open-source, is built into most Unix systems (including OS X).  You can find out about it and get it from www.python.org.  You can get a nicely constructed Windows distribution from ActiveState: http://www.activestate.com/activepython/downloads

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.