Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Wishlisting

I am slightly crazy about a few bits and pieces of computer hardware at the moment.  I think it is the effect of having zero spare dollars.  A local cunning weasel cracked our wireless network and used half or more our 12GB of 3G mobile broadband allowance in the first week. We have week to go and are $110 over. I feel a little like Ron Burgundy when Baxter ate an entire wheel of cheese.  'You got that much downloaded from our Vodafone? I'm not even mad. That's amazing.'

Kogan WQHD IPS monitor $400
AMD Radeon HD 7750 ($125 for passive cooling) or 7850 ($210) with 'Never Settle' bundled copies of BioShock Infinite and another game ($100 value).
Bluray drive $60.
8 GB ram kit $65
Cm hyper 212 eco cooler ($35)
Discount Am3+ mobo for upgrade ability if/when AMD gets Steamroller sorted out for high precessing power and lower power consumption. ($29) This would retain PCI slots for my TV tuner card, and is slightly more power efficient. I'm worried PCI slots may disappear altogether in a few years.

I'd like to get a seasonic or viewsonic platinum low noise 400W power supply, but they are $200 and even on 100% use, the saving above my bronze (noisy) earthwatts is like $20 a year.

Free upgrades / changes in the pipeline:
-I think I've got mythtv shutting itself down and starting up in time to record shows, fingers crossed.  Saves power and also makes you stop and think about whether you really want the TV on. Fingers crossed.

-Phoronix reported that full decode on AMD hardware support was available through the vdpau interface. When that's in fglrx, I can probably switch to onboard hd 4200 video. Then I can get rid of my nvidia gt210, freeing the pcie slot it is in, and a neighbouring PCI slot which can take an old single tuner card I have.  This would give us the upper hand in the broadcast channels' ongoing campaign to put the weeks good TV on the same hour or two of the same night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.