Sunday, November 10, 2013

More bargains and projects

1.  Logitech K400r is $33 from Logitech on eBay.  This is a good little keyboard/touchpad combo, apparently pretty good in a htpc type situation where the ui lapses into pc keyboard and mouse.

2.  I'm not sure this would work well enough, but I've been thinking about a Raspberry Pi based car simulator.  A Pi with a basic steering wheel and pedal set (Thrustmaster Ferrari $80). Then I could retire my current screen to be a gaming screen.  This would be for my little son, so a cool wooden cockpit would finish it off.  Driving games (eg TORCS) for Linux aren't going to be hassle free (force feedback might not work, etc) but total cost below $200 would be pretty good, and a 3yr old can probably live without some things.  Driving games are competitive but not murderous, a good model of social competition.

3. My 7790 continues to suck quite a good deal in Linux.  I don't know whether its attributable to packaging, or the fact that the most up to date packages I can get for Ubuntu (the oibaf ppa) are not built on LLVM 3.4, the development version that provides stuff for GCN. But contra Phoronix enthuse and the driver Dev document, I have almost no high level features - no OpenGL, no VDPAU. A $25 Raspberry Pi frontend would easily outperform it.

1 comment:

  1. Currently I believe the Pi-based simulator won't work (easily) because TORCS uses OpenGL, not OpenGL ES. Cubieboard has Android 4.2, and you could conceivably grab a racing sim game from the Play store for it - there are some doozies. GT2 is 0.9GB

    ReplyDelete

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.