Thursday, November 14, 2013

Racing Car Week

This has been racing car week in our house.  We started with a Formula 1 race (recorded by MythTV).  Then I saw these little car kits as I was dropping off some drycleaning. You may remember them from your youth.  They were being sold off at $3ea, so I bought a couple.

I picked up my son and told him about these toy cars.  He opened the box (the picture on the front is LAIRY) and spoke for both of us: "Where's the car?"

More assemblies was required than I remembered, but once I got into it I found them well-made.  They have little wheels on their bumpers to help them bump off walls from glancing impacts, but the shape of our house means they are invariably stuck seconds after they set off.

Hence the simple tethered system below.  The central pole is from a retired IKEA lamp.  This is a prototype.  I expect it will retire soon, due to lack of reliability and interest.  Its really a bit limited (although we could build some ramps.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.