Sunday, June 5, 2011

Why am I so excited about resolution?

Basically, because I have always been the most irresolute person you can imagine:

  • I misapprehend things in real life.  I accidentally bought a two-door car two years ago and didn't realise it was two-door until a friend asked 'Oh, I thought you weren't going to get a two-door car.'  Also I am always misreading situations as the perfect opportunity to trot out some philosophical wisdom.  Very often, I do this conscious that it is discontinuous with the conversation and will be difficult for people to relate to. (challenges to recognition)
  • I refuse to recognize that things are as good as they are going to get, and be happy and knuckle down and rock on.  I spend a lot of my day looking for something even more interesting than what I'm doing now, or more enjoyable than what I should be doing.  (challenges to courage)
  • I refuse to resolve tensions.  Since my post 'Belly' some months ago, I've been doing a lot of exercise and wishing I weren't so fat.  Yet faced with biscuits, or, as I was on Thursday night, 3/4 of a brie, I treat them as food, not as treats with a big downside.  Then I sit around thinking 'I can't  believe I ate the whole thing.'  Existing trapped between two conflicting desires is burdensome.  (problem solving)
I remember reading a lot of books as a teenager about lone-wolf assassins living by the creed from Heat 'Have nothing in your life you can't walk away from in 30 seconds.' They often did immoral things, but they were always on the side of the angels in the end (and very often they died of doing right).  Honestly, I would have been better to read Ayn Rand - at least her sociopaths are socially useful constructors who enjoy life.  What I took was the conviction that a sort of Nietzschean 'brief habit' - identity of convenience - would be all the resoluteness I would muster, and that faced with danger or opposition I would fold my principles away into those invisible dimensions and do what I needed to to survive. Given the extremely mild moral challenges I confronted myself with, this boiled down to resisting 'everything, except temptation' - being lazy, timid, distant in relation to social life and work, while being floridly self-indulgent in private.  

The problem I have now is how to develop a power of resolution - by making a resolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.