Tuesday, August 9, 2011

American Religion

Slate carried an article on the fervour which greeted Texas Govenor Rick Perry's prayer meeting for the nation. I don't know much about him except that in fine Texas fashion, he presides over a lot executions, a lot of money being made, and not much social support.


It makes me think of Isaiah 1:12ff (ESV translation):
“When you come to appear before me,  who has required of you  this trampling of my courts?  [...]  1:15 "When you spread out your hands,  I will hide my eyes from you;  even though you make many prayers,  I will not listen;  your hands are full of blood."  Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean;  remove the evil of your deeds from before my eyes;  cease to do evil,  17 learn to do good;  seek justice,  correct oppression;  bring justice to the fatherless,  plead the widow’s cause.
Other great reads on God in politics at ABC Religion Online:

Stanley Hauerwas
Slavoj Zizek 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.