Thursday, August 25, 2011

Good and Good

As I walked toward the office today, I was thinking about how I believe I can do anything, but often find that I can't, or at least, not in a useful amount of time. The big problem is shying away from difficulty, from not knowing. There is a skill in thoroughness, in discipline, in becoming good at a job.

I was thinking about the defecting lieutenants of Libya, and I was thinking about the great art and engineering produced under Stalin. There is sometimes as much or more benefit in being a skilled worker, doing a job good, as in doing a good job. Apparently Aristotle's phronemos (creatively skilled 'genius'?) could find 'the Good' in creating the best products or doing the best work. Somehow this idea is new to me every time. I always want knowing 'the Good' to entitle me to be hopeless.

He who is slack in his work is brother to him who destroys.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.