Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Finding an audience for my film

As assiduous readers may recall, I am supposed to be partly a screenwriter.

One of the tests of a pitch is 'who is the audience for this movie?' - is it a kids movie, a married with children movie, a frustrated husband outlet piece or what...  You want to narrow in on a big chunk of audience and pander to them as hard as you can.

I picked up a thin book by Raymond Plant on Hegel (part of a series called 'The Great Philosophers'), and after finding this quote, I think I have further narrowed my audience, from astute sf readers with an appreciation of symbolism, to astute sf readers with an appreciation of symbolism and an intimate knowledge of Hegel. I am not sure who that would be, but as the entire audience for a film that probably would cost $10s-100s million, I need to warn them the ticket price may be a little higher than they are used to, unless they are willing to see it millions of times. The quote:
Singularity, as return into self, is certainly spirit, but as otherness to the exclusion of everything else, it is finite or human spirit[.] 
Exactly what that means, I am not sure yet.  But it certainly sounds on the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.