Saturday, September 10, 2011

Peter F Hamilton

So...  Peter F Hamilton.  He writes big SF books with lots of stuff in them.  I've only read the Night's Dawn series (The Reality Dysfunction, The Neutronium Alchemist, The Naked God), which was pretty good, but not really to my taste.  The interesting thing is that he seems to know his bible because Josh Calvert (J.C.), passes through a nebula and makes a deal with 'the Naked God' (a black hole / singularity of waaaay superhuman power), which makes him say exactly what he wants it to do, how to wield its God-like powers, for all humanity.

Daniel 7:13-14 says:

In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. 14He was given authority, glory and sovereign power.
In the new testament, when Jesus calls himself ''son of man', he is probably citing this scene; and he cites it at his trial.

It's the nebula = clouds that struck me as a deliberate choice to create this likeness.  They traverse a nebula in their search and it seems otherwise quite unnecessary and lame, as I recall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.