Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The One

The more I think about Hegel, the more I get out of Christianity.  The idea that God is one is not just a proposition about God - as an image, I must be one, resolving in myself the manifold external tensions, pressures and strains. Even their existence as tensions feeds on my one-ness.

King David (who killed Goliath) was 'a man after God's own heart'.  But his rule was constantly shored up by advice and murder from Joab, the commander of his army.  King Solomon famously begins his reign by being blessed by God with wisdom.  Among the first thing he does is direct a set of murders - prejudicial execution, of David's old enemies - and Joab. His wisdom takes the form of being both king and killer.  He knows the tensions are parasitic on him and he resolves them, to then do great things - and early court culture of learning, a prefab temple pushing workers to design and prepare, and trade relationships galore.

I want to be that more and more - more deadly resolution, more flourishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is your chance to be heard, really heard! Finally the world will take you seriously. So do try to post something worthwhile.